Thursday, December 20, 2007

No Grudges

Fine, I'll admit it, I haven't been the best papa the last few days, but it's all been for the greater good. Although Duncan still has his numerous walks they haven't been as long or as far reaching. I've simply been too busy taking care of last minute things that need taking care of before we leave for Idaho. Duncan has been much more antsy than usual, but he's very forgiving. Tonight he got to play with Kona and I keep telling him, "You get to see Grandma and you get to chase after deer on the mountain." His eyebrows get wide and he cocks his head, so I know that somewhere he's remembering one or two of those words. My mother is quite good at spoiling her "Grand dog" as she calls him and I know they're both looking forward to seeing each other again. And the only thing that comes close to comparing to the joy of snow is the joy of snow on the mountain behind my mom's house. I can't feel bad about not giving him all the time he wants now because he's about to have a lot better time.

But he holds no grudges. Once we're outside, be it in the snow or rain, the mud or sunshine he forgets I've neglected him and simply enjoys the time he has. He's beautiful, inside and out.

"Agreeable friends — they ask no questions, they pass no criticisms." (George Eliot)

No comments: