Sunday, April 21, 2013

Fire

These are my favorite nights, when Duncan and I are home, good music (by my friend Sean Renner) is playing while dinner (homemade chicken curry) is simmering on the stove, a couple of candles are burning, the air coming through the open windows is cool and sweet, and the world three flights below is unmoving and quiet. While I cooked and cleaned up after myself Duncan curled up on the couch and watched the flicker of the flames from the candles on the coffee table, his eyes rolling closed, his eyebrows dancing with dreams. Soon I'll snuggle up next to him, he'll rest his head on my hip where Winnie used to lay, and together we'll enjoy the creeping darkness, the smell of dinner, and the simple pleasure of each others' company.


These are the nights I wish I could hold onto forever, that I'll dream about in my old age, that I could spend eternity reliving. My dog and me, together, content, lazy by the smallest of fires.

2 comments:

NodakJack said...

So, you can open your windows without snow and 600 miles per hour wind invading your space? Nice..

Robert said...

Ahhh. I love nights like this. For me it usually entails a bowl of homemade minestrone and a carefully selected porter in front of a Masterpiece Theater, Great Performances, or even a Ken Burns film. Then basking in the silence with a good book.

Thanks for bringing those thoughts to mind.