Tuesday, November 4, 2008

This Day


On this day, this most important day, the day I have written about and studied and spoken with countless people about for months and months, the day I have argued over and dreamt about, made myself sick over, this day when I really honestly feel as though this country is on the cusp of monumental change, as though things are finally and blessedly about to shift from darkness back into light, I have to stop and give thanks to my dear friend, David. Without his patience and knowledge, without his outrage at the state of our decrepit health care system, his indignation at the treatment of our fellow citizens, without his guidance, I may have spent this election cycle attentive but inactive, concerned but woefully uneducated.

David is a remarkable man and there is much I--and to some degree each of you--owe to him. He is passionate and dedicated, loyal beyond words, and at times, when I have been unsure of myself and the direction of my life, David has been there as only a few others have. Despite the neglect and ignorance which have guided this country for the past eight years, David's belief in its potential is staggering and inspiring. His heart is the heart of a poet, for not only does he see things as they are, but he is able to look beyond them and see what we can be. We have spent innumerable hours over the past year agonizing about this day, this one day when the eyes of the rest of the world are on America, watching and waiting for us to finally, at last, make the right decision. His emails have encouraged me, enlightened me, frightened me, and finally ignited a fire in me that would not go out until I had used what little voice I have to speak up for what is right. It is because of David that I have used this place to rail against the dangerous arrogance which currently controls our government and the ignorance which threatens it again. Because of David I have attended rallies. I have walked the streets handing out leaflets, knocked on doors asking for support. I have spoken with friends who only a few weeks ago seemed beyond reach but have come to realize this country deserves more, deserves better.

In a letter I recently received from him, in an envelope scrawled with his familiar and much-loved handwriting, a single sprig of lavender folded between the pages, as he has done since I moved away from Illinois and the kindly Shire-like folk there, the very people who have given us Barack Obama, David wrote:

This election has inflamed the best and the worst of this nation. We will, each of us, vote according to our character and collectively define the character of the Unites States. The election booth will become a sort of civic confessional in which we exercise our faith in this country. I vote tomorrow. I have waited a long time, and it will feel good to finally have my say.

On this day, this morning when here in Denver the sun is out and the sky is blue, when anything and everything seem possible, I ask you to vote according to your character. I ask you to be brave and look not at the past, but to the future. I ask you to put the last eight years behind us finally and forever and to take a deep breath before we begin the much needed healing of this nation. I ask you to raise your voice and change the world.

*The banner at the top of this post was designed by my friend Kelly, who created it on her blog, Property of Kelly. Not only is she one of my most favorite people, but she's a talented artist and designer.

6 comments:

Lori Whitwam said...

Check out the Boy's blog. He's one anxious little Liberal Democrat! I told him you said to have faith.

Now, time to get ready to go choose the leader of the free world!

BARACK OBAMA!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

This day is energized. Thank you for your positive energy. And thank you, David, for your strong words.

Charlie said...

Hurrah for David, and for 8 years better than the past 8!
- Charlie & Anne

Anonymous said...

The most important issue on the next Colorado ballot will be to rename the state "Curtorado". I predict a groundswell of support.

Anonymous said...

"Curtorado". Oh, I like the way that rolls off the tongue...what a day or two its been, eh? I hope you are enjoying the high that comes of success at the end of some hard work. I know you are one of the many people (even if we have David to thank for you) who helped make yesterday...and TOMORROW...happen!

Woo hoo!! Pet that Duncan for me, eh?

Valerie Cummings said...

Whoo Hoo Happy days Curt!!! Yay for Obama. You must be beside yourself! You havent written anything!!!