Monday, September 15, 2008

Now is the Hour




The electoral votes have shifted dramatically in the past week, and not in the favor of progress and change.

How is your health care? I hope you're better off than the 47 million who have none.

How do this country's students measure up against those in China or Korea?

Are you one of the lucky ones who still has a house?

What happened to your 401K today?

Have you talked to your friends about Troopergate?

I can not urge you enough to pass on this video, not only to those who share your beliefs but most especially to those who don't. I am an idealist and a patriot and I want desperately to feel proud of this country again, to know that the world holds us in the high regard they once did. I want to walk my dog in the park in the afternoons and not shudder at the McCain Palin signs which are beginning to creep up around me. I want to believe that Americans are smarter than to think the Republican agenda is about anything other than keeping rich, white folk rich, the disenfranchised forgotten, and all the rest of us poor, sick and scared out of our minds.

Stand up. Learn all you can learn and educate everyone around you. Now is the hour. If you are as repulsed by the past eight years as I am, why would you do nothing to prevent another four? If you're like many of the people I know who vote Republican and don't know why, who do it because their parents did and don't care to learn about the actual issues, not the lies, then make a point of asking someone, or shut the hell up and get out of the way of progress and change. This is my country, too, and I take responsibility for it. We all must. There is no time left to abide ignorance and laziness.

Now go do something.

3 comments:

Charlie said...

Hear, hear, Curt! It's time to quit focusing on political analysis & spin and start working on digging our country out of this 8-year hole.
- Anne

p.s. And let's not forget all the civil rights abuses introduced by the Bush/Cheney administration (including the operation of secret prison ships that make Guantanamo look like a picnic) and ask ourselves which candidate will best end them.

Marty said...

I was scared before I saw this video. I'm shaking to the bone now. Thank you for posting it. Indeed, you are truly a patriot for attempting to educate the world!!!!!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

great post