Monday, February 22, 2010

A Reason to Dance

The first day at a new job is a lot like the first day of school as a kid, with restless sleep the night before and a mind racing with all sorts of questions. I have not felt this way in a long time and although it wasn't entirely pleasant it was a reminder that I am alive, that life is ever-evolving and that some challenges are worth the fear and anxiety.

I did not sleep much last night, so I stayed up, pressed my shirt and pants--something I never do!--and paced until nearly 1 A.M. when I was good and exhausted and my pillow seemed like the best friend anyone could ask for. When the alarm went off at 6, three hours before I was supposed to report to work, I jumped up, fed the kids, took my shower and was ready to leave a half hour later. Duncan stayed on his big fluffy pillow at the foot of my bed until I decided it was time to go for a nice long relaxing walk.

It couldn't have gone more wrong. Aside from the fact that it was 3˚ outside and last night's snow was deep and heavy we also ran into two squirrels who caught us by surprise. I suppose they'd been huddling under one of the bushes Duncan prances through and that his sudden appearance caught them by surprise. They scattered, one up the closest tree and the other straight up a brick wall, but not before flitting and screaming all around his face. He snapped at the sudden flurry of tails and fur presented to him, but missed them entirely. I scrambled to put his leash back on and drag him away but only managed to slip and fall in the snow, wet but thankful my first day hadn't been spent at the vet.

Thankfully Duncan tended to business shortly thereafter, but by the time we returned home I discovered my keys were missing. I had plenty of blueberry pumpkin treats and poop bags but nothing resembling anything that would open the door and let me in my apartment. So back down the stairs we went on the long trek through The Run to the site of The Great and Sudden Squirrel Debacle, which is where I assumed / hoped the keys had fallen. Thankfully they were quickly located and we returned home nearly unscathed and partially dry.

After that it was the long drive across Denver, a day full of new and exciting people, lots of information and then the long drive back during a gorgeous sunset I'm grateful I didn't miss. And of course, waiting for me when I got home, was a happy dog, thankful to see me, more than willing to celebrate with his papa. It was something I'd looked forward to all day, kisses and hugs and dancing through The Glen like we haven't danced in a long time.


6 comments:

Olive said...

Wow what a day..quite an adventure :) Glad it all worked out and I am sure Duncan was happy to see you come home ...


I work at home and have not gone out to work in a long time now..I think I would be up all night too, I know I would be..

Here's to another great day...

Valerie Cummings said...

Oh I hope you like your new job! How exciting!!! And so glad you found your keys!!! Hugs, Joey and Kealani

Lori Whitwam said...

The two cutest boys in the world!

Unknown said...

Congratulations on a good first day. I hope you have many, many more good days!

How Sam Sees It said...

I hope the following days go much better!

Sam

Greg said...

What a treat to read this.

I suppose your early morning misadventures were like dropping lines during dress rehearsal. The morning gave you a short obstacle course to get you in the right frame of mind for the new situation.

Mazel tov!