Monday, September 3, 2012

This Light, These Clouds

I have spent the day watching clouds, either from behind my window or out in the world with Duncan, where they are at their best. They have sped and lingered across my field of vision, occasionally obscuring the blue almost completely, especially to the south and west of here where they are known to amass in the late afternoon, their darkness threatening the calm of the day. But by the time the afternoon is done they have grown fat and lazy and seem to have reached some sort of agreement with the mountains and the sun in which they achieve the kind of magnificence known only to butterfly wings or hummingbird feathers.

Duncan's birthday is tomorrow but tonight, when he chose this moment to venture out, it felt as though he was giving me a much needed gift. Bless him. We lingered long in the grass, stopping every few feet to admire their ranges and valleys, to allow their radiance to pull the air from our lungs as we stood in awe. Others passed occasionally with their own dogs, but none looked up. Even when I greeted them and said, "Can you believe this light? Can you believe these clouds?" They only looked up, pausing but a moment before turning back to me to smile politely. I'm not sure what my neighbors think of me, with my dog and my camera and my perpetual astonishment at the world, but I'm grateful that I'm at least tolerated. As long as I can view the daily blessings of this small corner of the universe unhindered, with Duncan at my side, there is little else that matters.





Clouds come floating into my life, no longer to carry rain or usher storm, 
but to add color to my sunset sky.  (Rabindranath Tagore)

5 comments:

David said...

Happy birthday, Duncan! Thank you for guiding Curt - and all of us - to so much beauty.

Good Dog!

Jyoti said...

Never lose that awe, or the desire to share it. You'd fit right in here where everyone is constantly exclaiming at the wonder of the sky and our surroundings.

Berts Blog said...

It always blows my mind when I take notice of all the people who have their heads down, their eyes averted, cell phones busy, just not seeing all that is around them.

How can people not see the blue of the sky, the dreamy dance of the clouds. Who cares if they think you and I are different, I would so prefer to have my head inthe clouds.

Beautiful post and happy birthday dunca.

Bert and My Vickie

Finn said...

Just beautiful. Happy birthday Duncan!

Pressure Washing Brookline said...

Thanks great bllog post