Monday, December 7, 2009

Bed

This is how the mornings go. My Chi-Gong phone alarm goes off at 5:30 but I don't normally get out of bed until 6. Duncan will move from the bed to his pillow at the foot while the cats, particularly Olive, follow me around as I stumble down the dark hallway, through the living room and into the kitchen where I turn on the small light above the stove and turn the kettle on for tea. Olive coils herself around my feet while Pip takes up his spot in front of the food dish, yowling as though I've forgotten to feed him every day of his life. Winnie stays on the back of the couch where she watches the rest of us with bemused indifference. Only Duncan doesn't move. He curls up on the pillow and doesn't get up until it's time for his morning walk.

This morning, though, after I'd made the bed and jumped in the shower, after I'd prepared my lunch and even Duncan's breakfast, after I'd pulled the blinds and discovered a snowy world where the temperature hovered around two degrees, Duncan still hadn't appeared. I stepped back into the bedroom and found him in a nice cozy spot, shameless and unapologetic.

He'd somehow crawled back under the comforter I fold up at the foot of the bed, slid around and snuggled under it with his head poking out.



It took some coaxing, but eventually we made it outside, although after he finished his breakfast and before I'd even left, he was back up on the bed and under the covers. Clearly he had his priorities straight.

11 comments:

Scout and Freyja said...

Just looked at your thermometer - 7 degrees. Duncan is one very smart dog. Brrrrr☺

Sierra Rose said...

OH yea! Duncan has the right idea. Saw that thermometer too....can feel that chilly chill over here. Snoozle on my friend!

Hugs and snaggle-tooth kisses,
Sierra Rose and mom

Jiorji said...

i'm with you there Duncan!! i'd be under the covers too!


HI KITTEH!! :D tiny meows are love

Nik said...

And here I was, complaining that it was around 30 in raleigh this morning. You have my sympathy. Good Boy, Duncan...for crawling under the covers.

Golden Woofs! SUGAR said...

Woof! I can totally relate. As much as I LOVE SNOW ... it's the COLD temperature that's bothers me. I am also getting old. Lots of Golden Woofs, Sugar

Valerie Cummings said...

Awe love the video!! Duncan does look so cozy! Hugs Joey and Kealani

How Sam Sees It said...

I think Duncan knows where to be in this type of weather! I wish I could crawl back under the covers too!

Sam

Ruby Red Dog said...

I don't blame you, Duncan. It's definitely napping weather.

Traci said...

Almost every morning while I'm in the shower, Murphy managed to get under the covers I carefully tucked under the pillow and burrows in. Most mornings all I see is a little nose, maybe a tail.

Murphy's Mom said...

There is nothing sweeter than snuggling with my Golden Boy in bed...they are so much smarter than we are.

Lori Whitwam said...

I'm with Duncan. Hibernation is the way to go! :-)