Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Spoiled

Duncan loves my mother. A lot. After working hard at keeping him from begging for people food, or even coming in the kitchen, it was my mother who undid all my hard work by introducing him to turkey, feeding him in the kitchen and letting him beg for it. And even though I scolded her and continue to tease her about it, it's become a bit of a tradition whenever they're together. They sneak and connive and plot behind my back and there's nothing I can do about it.

When we pulled up the drive last night after a ten hour trek across the vast bland yellow that is Wyoming, Dunc was more than ready to get out of the car. Except for the soft blue and green and red lights glowing along the eves, the house was dark and quiet. I was afraid no one was home but soon the door opened and mom was standing on the walk beaming from ear to ear. Duncan, who'd already begun pacing and whining softly went from zero to eight thousand at the sight of her. He jumped up and pawed at the window, his whine turning into a prolonged, high-pitched jet engine wail. I turned off the engine as Mom rushed forward and opened his door. He jumped up, straight at her, chirping like a rabid parakeet as he clutched the sleeve of her jacket in his teeth and led her back and forth through the dusting of snow on the yard as though he were showing her around.


This morning we went to her shop to get my hairs cut. I had barely turned my back when she fed him a lollipop. She held it up hoping he'd take a few tentative licks, which he did.


She was not, however, prepared for what followed. He quickly decided that cherry suckers were his very most favorite things in all the world (right up there with a roll in the snow and turkey fed directly from Grandma's fingers). Before she could react he slurped up the entire thing and fought her for control of it.

She squealed and pulled and fought back as hard as she could but he can be surprisingly tenacious, especially when it comes to things as wonderful as cherry-flavored lollipops.

Eventually her only recourse was to beg and plead.

He's spoiled rotten but it looks like I'm going to have to keep my eye on mom rather than Roo.

10 comments:

Charlie said...

Spoiling is what grandmothers are all about! :)

Lori Whitwam said...

She's a fabulous doggie-grandma! Bet she found out that little sucker stick doesn't give you much leverage when the tasty big round part is in a Duncan-muzzle! Spoiling is the Grandma/Granddog bond. And they're both enjoying the heck out of it.

bbes tribe said...

Always thought that was what grandmas were for... to spoil & enjoy.
Wags
Ernie & Sasha

Jiorji said...

hahah so cute!! i love it! grandmas are for spoiling.

Miguel said...

Yup, Grandmas live to spoil and granddogs live to be spooild. Does Duncan even know you're in the room? Mine don't!

Ruby Red Dog said...

Hooray for Grandmas!

Woofs,
Ruby

Greg said...

Hey, Christmas is all about the extra treats. I've been spoiling the heck out of my Mom and Dad's kitty since I arrived, which is why we are such good friend!

Merry Christmas to you, and Duncan and Mom and everyone!!!

Olive said...

Merry Christmas my friend..

I hope you get many treats!!

Licks..

Olive :)

Unknown said...

Wow! That's EXACTLY the way I learned to eat lollipops! A few well-meaning people might actually have lost a finger or two in the process of offering me those treats. Have a wonderful visit out yonder. Chocolate in the potato soup this year?

Anonymous said...

Your blog keeps getting better and better! Your older articles are not as good as newer ones you have a lot more creativity and originality now keep it up!