Sunday, October 26, 2008

Obama Sunday

I was a part of something today which was enormous and important and which could potentially change the entire world. You may have heard that Barack Obama spent Sunday morning in downtown Denver speaking to a crowd of well over 100,000 people, which included Melissa and myself (watch part of it here).



It was an exhilarating experience, one I hope never to forget. I cannot tell you how amazing it felt to be a part of something so big with so many other people who recognize that this country is in dire need of change in a positive direction. They were people of all types and colors, economic brackets and classes.


The volunteers, who numbered in the thousands, handed out fliers, sold buttons and shirts, bumper stickers, recruited even more volunteers and shared their message of hope. I have never been in such a large crowd with so many considerate people; everyone wished us a good morning, thanked us for coming out, wished us well as we left. It was electric and there were times when I listened to Barack speak that tears actually came to my eyes. I felt I was part of history, that this day and this election was a one I could look back on and be proud of. I felt part of a community which wants nothing more than to help this country and her citizenry realize its full potential.


I can not urge you enough to vote early, to tell your friends and family to do the same, to speak with everyone you know about why Barack Obama is the best candidate for the future of this country. This afternoon I signed up to go canvassing door to door, which makes me proud and helps me feel like I've earned the right to see this man made president of the United States. Do all you can do. Don't just sit there, get involved!

"Change will not come if we wait for some other person or some other time.
We are the ones we've been waiting for. We are the change that we seek."
(Barack Obama)


*The last photo was borrowed from The Huffington Post

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow! Were you that close or is that a picture you grabbed from somewhere? What an amazing experience. I am already making plans with fellow Barackians to be in Grant Park for his election night party. I can't wait!

I'm reminded of when I went to Washington for the March for Women's Lives in 2004 when 1.4 million men and women gathered on the Mall in front of the nation's capital. There is nothing like those moments. They change you and they are unforgettable. It really drives home our country's motto, "E pluribis, unum." From many, one.

I am so happy for you that you got to be a part of it. That you got to hear him speak and be a part of such a moment in history. I know you will remember it forever.

Lori Whitwam said...

Wow, too bad I wasn't staying ONE MORE DAY~! I'd have loved to go with you!

Anonymous said...

i had not seen a crowd shot yet. Wow!