Wednesday, December 5, 2007

Day

I'm trying not to get sick. Ken has been trying but apparently not quite as hard as me. He succumbed last night and woke with a terrific fever. We've both been snorting Zicam, Ken to reduce the gunk that's infected him and me to stave off any possible advance on the gunk front. War has been declared.

I spent the day dealing with students anxious to sell their textbooks at our bookstore. Some were lucky and received hundreds of dollars; others did not fare quite as well. And while some were angry and hostile (it's not uncommon to have my physical safety or my life threatened) others were gracious and patient. They are the ones that made today bearable. And the Xanax certainly didn't hurt. The next week will be a challenge but soon it'll be Christmas and I'll be loaded down with feathers, driving and whistling my way back to Idaho.

Karren had a tough week at work but somehow managed to look beyond her trouble and find some peace and solace right here with Duncan and me. She sent me an email this morning that truly touched me: "I couldn't wait to get home and read your next posting. It helps me stop and think about the simpler things in life... It may seem silly and I know it’s not why you write your blog, but I just wanted you to know that it’s very important and special to me. It’s funny how you can touch peoples lives without even realizing it and I believe when someone touches your life like that you should tell them. So I’m telling you." What she doesn't realize is that this is precisely why I write my blog. Duncan has taught me to focus on the details of my life, the particulars of our time together, be it huddling in the cold, chasing snow or hunting rabbits. Watching his daily discoveries and rediscoveries has opened my eyes to the ways of the world I would never have noticed if he hadn't joined our family. Sharing that time with Duncan has allowed me to share my time with everyone who occasionally reads these pages. I'm grateful for each of you.

While I'm not exactly sure how Duncan spent his day, I know it involved sleeping, cuddling on the couch with his dad, chasing Pip, and giving his Berry a bath. No crowds, no yelling, no coughing or sneezing, no bosses, just the lazy joy of being a dog.

No comments: